Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

January 6, 2019

20125, 20126. Office Supt. Ind. Affairs Arizona Terty., Prescott, Sept. 30th, 1872. Hon. F.A. Walker, Commissioner Indian Affairs, Washington- D.C. (letter)

Office Supt. md. Affairs Arizona Terty. Prescott Sept. 30th, 1872 Hon. F.A. Walker Commissioner Indian Affairs Washington- D.C. Sir: I have the honor to submit the following Report of General Information for the month of September, 1872. I returned to my office on the 9th inst., being delayed at San Francisco to perfect arrangements for supplying and feeding the Indians in accordance with Telegram from your office dated Aug. 5th, 1872. On my arrival at Arizona City, I was met by Dr. Wilbur, Agent for the Papagos who kindly assisted me in making the necessary arrangements to transport the Indians, who had returned with me from Washington, to their respective homes. It was my intention on my way from the Colorado River to Prescott, to stop at Camp Date Creek, interview the Apache Mojaves & Apache Yumas on reserve at that point, & through their representatives who had accompanied me to Washington; again to convey to them the good intentions of the Government, and present to their Chiefs (Ocho-ca-ma & Tho-mas-pai) the medals given me (through Gen. Howard) by the President for the above named Chiefs. On my arrival at Date Creek I was met by Gen’l. Crook, who informed me that he had come to Date Creek, to arrest Ocho—ca-ma, Chief of the Apache Mojaves for the murder of Col. Leihy late Suptd’t. md. Affrs. for this Territory and also to arrest three Indians who participated in the killing of Loring & party in the Wickenburg Stage Massacre; he (Gen’l. Crook) informing me that he had positive information, that the Indians he intended to arrest were guilty of the crime of which they were charged. I also learned from Agent Williams that the Indians (especially the Apache Mojaves) under the leadership of Ochoc a—ma, had behaved very bad during my absence from the Territory, had refused to obey the Agent, left the Reserve without permission and were insolent and defiant. I sent for the Chiefs, told them that I wanted to talk with them and would meet them that evening. On assembling in Council I found that but few Indians were on the Reservation; not more than fifty were present at the Council & the Chiefs refused to give me my information concerning the absentees. At the termination of my interview Gen’l. Crook attempted to arrest the guilty Indians, who resisted and in the fight one soldier was stabbed one Indian was killed and as I am informed several were afterwards reported wounded. The Indians stampeded from the Post & fled to the Mountains. Ocho-ca-ma was arrested & taken to the Guard-house but subs equently escaped. It is evident that the depredations committed in the valleys between Date Creek & the Colorado River previous to this affair, Office Supt. md. Affairs Arizona Terty. Prescott Sept. 30th, 1872 Continued- were committed by these Indians, and their absence from the Reservation was for no good purpose. During the month the Military have been active in scouting after these Indians; on the 27th ultimo (40) forty of them were killed & (10) ten taken prisoners. On the 30th ultimo (17) seventeen were killed at Squaw Peak (50) fifty miles from Prescott, on whose persons were found ration returns dated as issued up to the 29th ult. The Apaches at Camp Grant and Camp Apache, still remain on the Reserves; and I believe with judicious management will stay & conform to the rules established by the Government for their benefit. At Camp Verde the Indians have been coming & going. It is evident that they are anxious to receive rations, but not willing to remain within the Reservation limits. Mr. Jacobs having been relieved from the Agency at Camp Grant, is now en route to Camp Verde, and I hope in my next report to give more favorable accounts of the condition of affairs at that Reserve. The condition of the Pimas & Maricopas, Papagos, Mojaves, and Hualpais remains unchanged, the former are now enjoying the benefit of a fair average crop, and the Hualpais are assisting Gen. Crook as Scouts against the hostile Apache, and I anticipate no trouble from them. Ample arrangements for feeding the Indians at the various Reservations have been made and sufficient supplies are en route to guard against any contingency. I respectfully call the attention of the Hon. Commissioner to my letter of the 21st ult. regarding the purchase of Clothing and Blankets for the Indians; the weather in some parts of the Territory is very severe and unless these articles are purchased & issued, great suffering will necessarily follow. The Annuity Goods for the Pimas, Maricopas, Papagos, and Mojaves have all been sent, and are being issued to said Indians. I am Sir, Very respectfully, Your obd’t. servt., H. Bendell, Superintendent.

No comments:

Post a Comment