Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

January 5, 2019

20119, 20020. Pacific Mil. Div., Asst. Adjt. Gen., Headquarters Department of Arizona, Prescott, September 18th, 1872 (letter)

Pacific Mu. Div. Asst. Adjt. Gen. Headquarters Department of Arizona Prescott, September 18th, 1872 Sir: I have the honor to report that for some time I have been satisfied who the parties were who committed the massacre of the stage passengers via Wickenburg last November, in which Mr. Loring and others lost their lives, and have been keeping as quiet about it as possible while using every endeavor to get the individual Indians into position so as to capture them. Having completed my arrangements, I left here on the 6th instant to meet Irataba, the Chief of the Mojaves with an Interpreter at Date Creek. The Chief was cognizant of the massacre and the parties who committed it, and was to identify such as were present at the council at Date Creek, so that the arrest could be made. On arriving at Date Creek I found that at least two thirds of the Indians, belonging on the reservation were absent from it, and that one band had left in a defiant manner, stating that they were not coming back, while others had left with the permission of the Agent to go to a certain place with the promise to come in whenever he sent for them, both of which promises they had failed to keep, and in addition several bands of stock were stolen from parties on the road from Date Creek to Ehrenberg, the trails leading to the country over which these Indians were roaming. The Indians who were at Date Creek seemed uneasy and suspicious, and in very bad temper, approaching with their arms and war paint. Some of the parties who had participated in the stage massacre were there, but very uneasy, and when the Indians were assembled I had some men detailed to make the arrests as soon as the Indians were identified. As they were designated the soldiers stepped up to arrest them, when one of the Indians friends, standing back of the soldiers, stabbed one of them in the back. A shot was fired, by whom I could hardly say, but I think it was by the soldier stabbed, and in an instant firing commenced on both sides, the Indians making for the hills. I made every effort, as did all the officers present to stop the firing, but it was all over in an instant. I returned to Prescott on the 9th, and on the 10th instant, received a despatch from the Commanding Officer of Camp Date Creek stating that the Indians wanted to talk with me and I went there at once. The Indians came in again and I promised them that I would grant amnesty to all the assassins, except one of the ring leaders who Headquarters Department of Arizona Prescott, September 18th, 1872 Continued- was still at large, as I had one in the guard house and two others were killed. Upon this, nearly all the Indians I had met the first time came in again and said if I would allow them to remain— they would be responsible for all the Indians who would come in. They did not deny their complicity with the stage massacre, but said there were a good many bad Indians among them, and that therefore they had been afraid to tell on each other, when depredations were committed. They promised that hereafter they would not only tell me when any depredations were committed, but they would go out with the troops if necessary, to punish the offenders. 0 As much as I regret that the arrest could not have been made without trouble, I am well satisfied that as it now transpires, the affair will be productive of good, as it is upon this basis and no other that you can rely upon Indians who come in upon our reservations. The applications must come from them, and not from us, they must sue to come in, and not feel all the time, that they confer a favor upon us by doing so. I am Sir very respectfully, Your obedient servant, George Crook, Lieut. Colonel 23rd Infantry, Brevet Major General, Commanding Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment