Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

January 3, 2019

20105, 20106. Hd'qrs. Camp Date Creek, A.T., August 30th, 1872, Captain A.H. Nickerson 23rd Inf., A.A.A. General, Dept. of Arizona, Prescott, A.T. (letter)

Hd’qrs. Camp Date Creek, A.T. August 30th, 1872 Captain A.H. Nickerson 23rd Inf. A.A.A. General Dept. of Arizona Prescott, A.T. Captain: I have the honor to state that I arrived at this Post last night about 9 o’clock, having hasten forward, (and leaving my party to come on today) immediately upon learning of the death of Captain Dwyer, of which you have been advised. Though Lt. Bourke was at the Post in advance of me I deemed it proper that I should also be here as soon as possible. As I was aware of the important nature of Lt. Bourkes’ orders, and knew also that no officer was here except him, and he might wish to pursue his journey without delay, and as a great amount of public property would thus be left without an officer present, I considered it to be my duty to waive all other considerations and give my attention to this matter; although Lt. Bourke stated he would have remained had no one arrived. The circumstance were of such a peculiar nature (and perhaps the case has no precedent) that Lt. Bourke, in the name of the Dept. Commander, at once, authorized me to take command, (copy of letter enclosed) which I did; at the same time obtaining possession of the store house and safe keys, and I have since put everything in as secure a condition as practicable. The funeral of Captain Dwyer took place at 11 AM today, it being an absolute necessity, as the body was rapidly decomposing and becoming extremely offensive, so much so, that the Post Surgeon gave as his professional opinion that it was unadvisable, if not dangerous to assume the risks of generating contagion by deferring the interment. This I trust will satisfactorily explain what might otherwise have the appearance of undue haste. The Post Surgeon also states that a postm ortem examination was not necessary to discover anything relative to the death of Captain Dwyer of which he (the surgeon) was not already aware. Lt. Bourke left here immediately after the funeral. Before leaving he stated that when he should meet the troops, now on route from Ehrenberg, he would immediately send an officer if one could be spared to take command of this Post. Nothing as yet (4 PM) having been received in answer to dispatches forwarded yesterday morning to Dept. Hd’qrs., I have Hd’qrs. Camp Date Creek, A.T. August 30th, 1872 Continuedt hought. it best to send a courier with this, this evening. Should no orders arrive by tomorrow morning I shall send my party forward, and remain here until some instructions are received, as I do not wish Justice to be delayed. Whatever has been done in reference to this peculiar case, I trust may meet the approval of the Commanding General. I believe that the best interests of the service demanded the action that has been taken. Very respectfully, Your obedient servant, Charles Hay, 1st Lieut. 23rd Infantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment