Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

January 3, 2019

20104. Date Creek, A.T., August 29th, 1872, General Adjutant, Dept. of Arizona, Captain: I have the honor to report that upon arriving... (letter)

Date Creek, A.T. August 29th, 1872 General Adjutant Dept. of Arizona Captain: I have the honor to report that upon arriving at this place, I found that Captain Dwyer, 5th Cavalry- Commanding Post, had suddenly died during the night of August 28th, and there being no other officer present, and no one to take charge, I assumed the responsibility of taking Command until the arrival of Lieut. Hay, 23rd Inf. Beyond seeing that desks, etc. were properly secured, I had no time to do anything except make preparations for the burial of the remains, rapidly decomposing from the effects of the sultry weather. Lieut. Hay arrived about six (6) hours after I did, and is now in Command having in his possession the keys, etc. of the deceased. I have the honor to be Sir, Very respectfully, Your obedient servant, 3ohn G. Bourke, 2nd Lieut. 3rd Cavalry. A true copy, Charles Hay, 1st Lieut. 23rd Infantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment