Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

August 20, 2018

10070. Letter. La Paz, Apr. 1st, 1867, Liehe Schwester from J.P. Widney and Miss Bell Widney, Santa Clara, CA

La Paz, Apr. 1st, Liehe Schwester , 1867 There is certainly an avalanche of home letters due me. Nothing yet since the letters in the box. I know however that you have all written but the mails here are so irregular and I have been rambling about so diligently that they have not been able to find me. This weeks mail will be in to—morrow however and then for an hour of happiness. The old letters have all been read over and over a dozen times. Last week I forwarded the continuation of my journal with an account of the flood we were caught by in the mountains. Since then we have heard from the other two detachments that left Drum Barracks by the Mohave and Yuma roads. The one by the latter route for Tucson was treed, as they say out west, by a flood of the Gila River, driven up on the hills and detained several days. The other force is snowed in among the mountains between Mohave and Prescott. An odd country . We are still camped on the Colorado two miles below La Paz. The continuation of my journal will give you an account of the sights to be seen and the daily run of events. I am getting the most of the town practice, such as it ise The surgery is all sent to me. It is 'very pleasant after the worry and insolence met with in city practice to receive the respect and consideration while here, and especially by the Spanish population , i s accorded to the physician. There is no one else in town who does anything in the line of surgery so that this makes me the doctor. Had rather an amazing time the other day. The Indian agent sent for me to ampu— tate the leg of an Indian boy. We had every thing ready to proceed when a deputation of the tribe came in, faces beautifully polished with stove blacking and very earnestly said that American man and Mexican man might live after leg cut off but they did not think Indian could ever get well. The agent thought better not to force the matter against their superstitions . We may remain here a month yet before receiving further orders. I sent inclosed in a letter to Mr. Dent, Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the T y. of Arizona, a letter to John with a list of some articles I want. A duplicate of the list you will find in this. The quantity of some of the articles is changed however. The pkg. was to be forwarded with Mr. Dent. If however he is much I find that it can be sent safely delayed or anything prevents , through one of the vessels sailing for the mouth of the Colorado. If Mr. Dent can bring it, it will arrive here in about a month, & the other way six weeks. After marching on to our permanent camp there will not be much chance to send for articles so that I am laying in a supply. As soon as we meet a paymaster if there is any reliable way of forwarding money I will send as there are now several hundred dollars due me. Tell John he owes me several letters. Write me all the news. How the trees and plants doing? Have you a garden? See that the fruit trees are wrapped up again to protect them from the worms . Love to all— your brother , J.P. Widney Miss Santa Bell Widney Clara, Cal.

No comments:

Post a Comment