Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: All material provided for reference and research purposes only. No reproduction of images or text is permissible. If linking to any item on this blog, please site the source.

December 29, 2018

20072, 20073, 20074. The Army And Navy Journal, Volume IX, Number 21, Saturday, January 6th, 1872. Twenty-first Infantry. (letter)

The Army And Navy Journal Volume IX, Number 21 Saturday, January 6th, 1872 Twenty-first Infantry. From Boston a correspondent of the New York Times sends the following letter from one of the survivors of the Loring massacre, giving an account of that massacre, and reflecting on the conduct of one of the officers of this regiment with reference to it. We publish the letter as it bears a responsible signature, but shall be glad to publish any correction of its statements: Ehrenberg, A.T., December 9th, 1871. William G. Peckham, Esq. Trinity Building, New York Dear Sir: In acknowledging the receipt of your letter of November 16th, 1871, I am pleased to be able to give you an account of the death of my friend Loring, who was well known to me and whose untimely death is deeply regretted by me. We left Fort Whipple, near Prescott, Arizona Territory, on Saturday, November 4th, in the best of health and spirits. To be sure, the stage was rather crowded, but being all of such good temper we had a real nice time, Loring being the most lively of us all, anticipating a speedy return to his friends East. Well he retained his inside seat until we reached Wickenburg, on Sunday morning, November 5th, 1871, when, after leaving there, he preferred to have an outside seat, to which I most decidedly objected; but he insisted on being outside for a short time. I had two revolvers and he had none; in fact, no arms whatever. He rejected my offer of a revolver, saying at the same time, “My dear Kruger, we are now comparatively safe. I have travelled with Lieutenant Wheeler for nearly eight months, and have never seen an Indian.” Well we rolled on until about 11 AM, when the fatal attack was made. The first warning I had was the warning of the driver, who cried “Apaches! Apaches!” At the same moment the Indians, who lay concealed, fired the first volley, killing poor Loring, the driver, and the other outside passenger, a Mr. Adams. They killed also the off lead horse and wounded the other lead horse. The horses very much frightened, then ran forward about twenty yards, when they came to a sudden stop. At the same time Loring fell off the stage and so the other passenger. At the same moment the Indians fired the second volley from three sides- the both sides and rear— not more than four or five yards from the stage, killing Mr. Shohoim, one of the inside passengers, and wounding Miss Sheppard, myself and a Mr. Salmon, of Lieutenant Wheeler’s party. The latter one was mortally wounded and fell out of the stage, and crawled away, but was finally captured by the Indians, scalped and otherwise mutilated. The only one not then wounded Letter from Army and Navy Journal— Continued. was Mr. Hamel, of Lieutenant Wheeler’s party. Both he and myself commenced immediately firing. Each one fired six shots. Not having any more ammunition I ceased firing. The Indians then disappeared behind the bushes. But what a terrible spectacle it was to see the six dead bodies in plain sight! Loring was lying right under my very eyes, not yet dead, but suffering, apparently, terribly. He was shot through his left temple, his right eye, and his lungs. He suffered for about four minutes, but I am positive that he died before I made my escape. Knowing that it would be useless to attempt to escape until the Indians would come back to plunder the stage, I remained perfectly quiet, having in the mean time ascertained that Miss Sheppard was yet alive, but badly wounded. She succeeded in getting a loaded revolver from one of the killed passengers, which she gave to me. I then told her to keep cool and be ready to run as soon as I would give the signal. Well, in about six minutes of terrible suspense I saw the Indians slowly creeping toward the stage. I counted and saw plainly fifteen Indians all dressed in blue soldiers’ trousers. When they came within five yards of the stage I jumped up, yelled and fired at them. The woman, at the same time, yelled also, and we succeeded admirably in driving them off for the time being, and got time to leave the stage. Before I left the stage I cried out as loud as I possibly could if any one was left alive, but only Mr. Adams answered; but he was mortally wounded and could not even move his hands or feet, so I had to leave him to his fate. He was afterward found with his throat cut and otherwise mutilated. The Indians afterward followed me for about five miles, and I had a running fight with them until I fell in with the “buck-board.” I had to carry the wounded woman for over two miles in my left arm. I myself received one shot through the right armpit, coming out on the shoulder, and two shots in my back. The woman also had three shots, one dangerous. How I could escape with my life, and be able to save the life of Miss Sheppard, is more than I can account for. That I left my mark with the Indians, there is no doubt, because two Indians died from gun—shot wounds at Camp Date Creek Reservation; but the commanding officer refused to have the thing investigated, for fear he would find sufficient evidence that they were his pets- that is Camp Date Creek Indians. At all events there is no doubt whatever that the outrage was committed by Indians, and that by Camp Date Creek Indians, those so-called friendly Indians whom Uncle Sam feeds. After the news reached Wickenburg, we were brought to Wickenburg after sixteen hours of terrible suffering and agony. I stopped at the place of attack and closed the eyes of all my poor travelling companions. Loring, poor boy, was not mutilated, but looked calm and peaceful, excepting his fearful wounds through the head. He wore soldiers’ clothing. His hat is in my possession now; if you wish it you can have it. Loring and four of his companions in Letter from Army and Navy 3ournal- Continued. fate were decently buried the next day, Monday, November 6th, 1871, in nice coffins. I saw them buried. The other man who got scalped was buried on the road. Mr. Sexton, of the Vulture Mill, at Wickenburg, attended to the funeral. Rest assured that our friend Loring had a decent funeral. Peace be with his ashes. I forwarded everything belonging to Loring to Lieutenant Wheeler, excepting his hat, which you can have should you desire it. There are four bullet—holes through the same. What Loring lost I don’t profess to know. I know, I lost everything but my life. The Indians got, to my certain knowledge, about twenty-five thousand dollars- nine thousand dollars belonging to me and Miss Sheppard. There is not a particle of doubt in my mind that the attacking party were Indians. I have known Indians since the last five years, and cannot be mistaken; besides, all indications show that they were Indians. Every citizen here will swear to it, because these citizens tracked the Indians from the place of outrage to Camp Date Creek. But the commanding officer, Captain O’Beirne, Twenty-first Infantry, not only allowed the Indians to go unpunished, but also refused me, Miss Sheppard, the two surviving cripples, shelter. Yes sir; he ordered us off his reservation, and I wish to heaven you would publish this act of inhumanity in your New York papers. Please show this letter to Mr. Loring, Boston, Mass., who wrote to me the same time you did. I am sir, Very truly yours, William Kruger Chief Clerk to Captain C.W. Foster, Q.M., U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment